Firstly, everybody here at Lane’s Landscaping Supplies would like to wish you a very Happy New Year.
With that out of the way, it’s time to look forward; primarily at 2017’s newest landscaping trends and products.
So if this year is your year to finally update your backyard or other outdoor areas, why not bring these standout design ideas to your home?
In 2017, the focus will be on bringing home entertainment outside.
With things like:
- Wi-Fi enabled connectors and routers which are tough enough to handle the elements
- Waterproof speakers designed to look like natural stone and blend right in
- Bird-feeders which a built-in camera that gives you a close look while they’re snacking
- Patio TVs specifically designed to be watched – and left – outdoors
- Smartphone, iPad or even laptop charging stations built into landscape designs
Many years ago, the thought of being connected while outside was, well, crazy.
Then, new electronic devices (like the BlackBerry, remember that?) allowed people to keep up with news, emails, entertainment and more while on the go.
And this year, there’s no limit to what high-tech gadgets you can enjoy in your backyard. The trend is truly shifting towards bringing the living room outdoors.
Lastly, feel free to click each image to view a larger version.
Even though it’s winter outside, take a moment to remember last summer.
It was hot and dry; it almost felt like we were in a drought.
As a result, there were lawn watering restrictions, which led to lots of brown lawns across Mississauga, Oakville, Brampton, Milton, Burlington and the GTA.
This year, the trend is about designing backyards which harvest and reuse rainwater.
The solution: Permeable pavers.
Water runoff is wasteful and contractors are expected to be busy installing permeable pavers in projects like:
- Pool decks
Permeable pavers work by allowing water to soak into the ground (as opposed to sliding off the surface or draining into a storm sewer).
The benefits of using permeable pavers include:
- Improving the quality of the stone base under the pavers
- Saves money on home water usage
- Reduces flooding and the reliance on sewer systems to handle excess water flow
Permeable pavers have been growing in popularity for years.
And in 2017, that trend is expected to continue.
There’s something majestic and cool about fire.
And the old-fashioned fire pit or backyard fireplace is making a return.
Big time – in 2017.
Want to know why?
- Fire pits tend to be a natural gathering and focal spot in the backyard
- They allow you to enjoy your backyard longer (into night) by providing light and heat
- Fireplaces add tremendous aesthetic and resale value to your home
- A great fire pit can be built almost within any budget
For a while, heat lamps were the go-to option for people looking for brightness and warmth in the backyard.
But fire is elemental and eternal.
And this year, it’s making a comeback too.
Want to build a fire pit in your backyard?
Download your FREE copy of Turn Your Backyard into the Ultimate Entertainment Hub to learn how
The old-fashioned vegetable garden
Remember picking fresh veggies from your parents’ or grandparents’ gardens?
Today’s homeowners are setting aside backyard or landscaping space to build their own vegetable gardens.
Eating healthy never really goes out of style.
Nor does saving money.
So the trend towards buying fresh fruits and vegetables every day is making way for growing it yourself at home.
It makes sense, too. If you recall, early in 2016 the price of cauliflower soared all over the world.
Here in Ontario, the price of a head of cauliflower jumped to $10 a head.
That caused a lot of families (and restaurants too) to rethink where and how they get their produce.
The solution? Right at home with a raised bed or planted vegetable garden.
Got big landscaping plans for 2017?
Although it’s January and it’s cold outside, it’s not too early to think about your spring or summer landscaping projects.
And when it’s time to put those plans into action, we want to help.
To start, you can:
- Request a FREE quote on any of our products
- Contact us with any questions you have
- Download our FREE guide on transforming your backyard this year