Your summer vacation is just around the corner.
When you get back, though, the last thing you want to do is tackle the small landscaping jobs you (like many homeowners) have been putting off.
After all, once you return, you’ll be busy with things like:
- Catching up for work
- Getting the kids ready for school
- Planning your big fall landscape projects
You simply won’t have the time to handle smaller (but still very much important) tasks.
But you’ve got the time now. So make sure you finish these little jobs before you head out on holidays.
One last thing: Have a great trip from everyone here at Lane’s Landscaping Supplies.
Boost your curb appeal
Make sure your house looks its best while you’re away with these easy-to-start and easy-to-finish curb appeal projects:
- Spread fresh mulch: If your mulch is looking old and dull, it’s not going to get any better. Adding rich red, black or organic mulch will bring the colour back and help with weed control too.
- Add new topsoil: Over time, the nutrients and minerals found in topsoil A new layer will replenish your garden landscaping for the rest of summer and leading into winter.
- Replace your burnt out landscape lighting bulbs: Get those bulbs changed before you leave for vacation. Before you know it, fall weather and early nights will be here soon.
- Plant fall flowers: Even though there’s still time to plant fall flowers, getting them in the ground now lets them fully adapt to your topsoil before autumn fully arrives.
And if you’re feeling extra ambitious, you can always install the new front door you’ve always wanted or give your home’s exterior a nice coat of fresh paint.
Clean and seal your interlocking patio stones
Quick: When was the last time you sealed your interlocking pavers?
Whenever it was, your interlocking paving stones have been exposed to things like:
- Heat (and other temperature fluctuations)
- Sun exposure
- Weed growth
- Oil spills (if it’s your driveway)
And in fall and winter, it’ll take a beating from colder temperatures, more rain and eventually snow.
That’ll help restore their colour and lustre. And if there are any cracks, you may want to fill and seal those too.
Then, seal your pavers (again with Techniseal). That’ll protect the colours and keep stains and dirt away.
Organize your garage
All year long, more and more clutter and stuff has found its way inside your garage.
And if there’s no room for your car now, there won’t be any room for it once you return from summer holidays.
Eventually, you’ll want to make space for your car.
But as mentioned at the top of this blog, you won’t have the time to do it once you get back.
So take care of it now.
When it comes to the things you don’t want, you can always donate them, throw them away or place them in storage (for now).
Or, you could host a garage sale and make a little extra cash just in time for your vacation.
Clean the exterior windows (and caulk them if necessary)
This is a more labour-intensive job.
But it needs to be done and it’s best to tackle it before you leave for your summer trip.
As you clean the windows, keep an eye out for any cracks in the caulking or sealant.
Because the weather is pleasant now, you may not have felt their impact.
Come fall and winter, though, you’ll feel it through drafts in your house and via higher-than-normal hydro bills.
Need help getting started? Come to Lane’s.
Whatever landscaping job you want to finish before your vacation starts, Lane’s can help with:
To start, contact us with your questions or comments. We’ll get back to you ASAP with the information and answers you need.