Thinking of sprucing up your backyard this summer but want to maintain a reasonable budget? Turn your backyard into a go-to retreat with friends and family using some simple DIY backyard landscaping ideas.
With a bit of know-how and some fresh inspiration, you can make little changes that won’t break the bank and turn your yard into a haven you won’t want to leave. Here are 30 DIY ways to make your backyard awesome this summer.
Backyard Makeover: Landscaping Ideas
What better place to start than making some easy adjustments to the space you already have by adding unique features and elements such as small ponds, shrubbery, and lighting.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. Design a DIY water feature using a barrel, sink or even an old watering can to create an artistic eye-catching detail
2. Build a cover to disguise your AC unit, paint it up and make it a feature, or keep it natural with some surrounding shrubbery
3. Create paths using flagstones or planks of wood and join other parts of your yard together
4. Add a pond. If a water feature won’t cut it, a DIY pond could be the answer. Do your research and you can have an affordable, tranquil water spot
5. Plant large shrubs to define certain areas of your garden, adding colour and texture.
6. Use a retainer wall. This will define flower beds and create points of interest.
7. Clean walkways and make your paths look brand new
8. Add trees of different heights. Create a focal point and add definition to your space.
9. Use lighting. Whether solar lights, large lanterns or twinkly lights, these are sure to brighten up your garden and add ambiance
10. Create or liven up a flowerbed with stone edging and mulch, adding fresh flowers to spruce everything up
Cool Products to Buy for Your Backyard
Add some funky outdoor accessories and turn your garden into a cool summer hang-out spot to have fun with the whole family.
Suggested products can include:
11. Water Ping Pong table
12. Inflatable movie screen
13. In-ground trampoline
14. Swinging chair/hammock
15. Pool bumper cars
17. Inflatable Twister
18. Reading lounger
19. Ice-box tables
DIY Improvements for Hosting
Outdoor entertaining is a great way to utilize your space and have a bit of fun in the process. Adding some key pieces or tweaking your landscaping can create an amazing area for hosting events.
21. Add an outdoor living area complete with seating and a fireplace
22. Create a theme throughout your garden to make the area stand out
23. Build a BBQ and surrounding kitchen area
24. Clean up your existing landscape area and get rid of things that are broken or no longer needed
25. Add or alter your patio area, separate from other parts of the yard, to define your sitting/dining area
26. Add a fire pit
27. Build a pergola to not only create shelter but add some artistic flair
28. Design a picnic area complete with table and basket
29. Use outdoor dinnerware and beverage dispensers for dining and entertaining
30. Burn citronella candles to keep the bugs at bay
DIY backyard landscaping is not only a great way to refresh your outdoor living area but also a chance to get creative and have some fun in process. Contact Lane’s Landscaping Supplies for all of your backyard garden needs and accessories this summer.